Re: (ASCEND) Setting up a filter to force all traffic on ports 80 and 443 t

> We have a MaxTNT that I need to force traffic through a proxy server.  The
> software vendor says to "just setup an ip filter to force the traffic to the
> proxy".  I have not done an extensive amount of work with the filter setup
> on the TNT so maybe I am missing something.  I understand how to setup the
> filter to block the traffic, not how to redirect it.  I am going to continue
> going grey by playing with this, any insight or manual pages would be
> greatly appreciated.  Off to read the TNT manual again.

I believe you are misunderstanding the software vendor.  You are correct that
Ascend packet filters block traffic and do not redirect traffic.  I think the
software vendor means - by blocking traffic to any other address or port you
are "forcing" traffic to only access the proxy server, but not redirecting
traffic to the proxy server.

Not that there is anything wrong with going grey (I know some very nice people
that are both grey and balding) but a filter does not change the destination
address or port of a packet.  What you seem to be wanting would require some
form of Network Address Translation (NAT).