Re: (ASCEND) Slowdowns with FTP/mail attachments

>Try turning off LQM.  We've seen it cause far too many problems here and
>leave it off now.  It doesn't solve all connection woes, but it does make
>things much better.  Also, what are the MTUs of the clients having
>problems?  An MTU of 576 might make things much better.
>
>Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net

I tried turning off LQM, and promptly heard from an ISDN user that now
_their_ FTP was failing. Turned LQM back on. Problem solved. Oh well.

One modem user who had really been having trouble reports that things were
fine with LQM off... and so far still fine with it back on. I'm waiting for
the next call...

MTU is set at 1500 for modems and ISDN TAs, and left unspecified for routed
ISDN accounts. What I see is all over the map:

admin> nets -i
Name        MTU   Net/Dest           Address         Ipkts    Ierr Opkts
Oerr
<snip>
wan13        1500                    MaxTNT.infoasis       27    0       30
0
wan15        1500                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan16        1500                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan17        1500                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan18        1500                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan19        1505                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan21        1500 dial-in30.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis      877    0      901
0
wan23        1524                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan26        1505 dial-in28.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan27        1505                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan28        1505                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan30        1500 dial-in56.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis     7346    0     6716
0
wan31        1505                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan32        1500 dial-in11.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis     2233    0     6757
0
wan33        1500 dial-in60.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis      928    0      850
0
wan35        1505                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0
wan36        1524 dial-in31.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis      460    0      444
0
wan37        1500 dial-in32.tnt.info MaxTNT.infoasis       89    0       80
0
wan38        1524                    MaxTNT.infoasis        0    0        0
0

MRU in answer-defaults is stock, at 1524.

If anyone has opinions on MTUs or MRUs for various links, I'm all, um,
eyes. We have modem, ISDN TA, and routed ISDN connections. Clients are
primarily Macintoshes.

Thanks.

>On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Peter Lalor wrote:
>
>> We have a Max 4000 (5.0Ap42) and a TNT (1.3Ap20). We've recently started
>> getting reports from a small percentage of modem clients (and a single ISDN
>> TA client) that they see sporadic slowdowns getting mail, especially with
>> large messages, and with FTP transfers. Web surfing is less affected, but
>> will tend to also show problems if a client is also experiencing the other
>> issues.
>>
>> I've been to a client's site and experienced the problem. After working on
>> his machine extensively, I'm not sure the problem is on the client(s) side.
>> It's too erratic, and it does affect a (small) number of clients.
>>
>> The problem is too erratic to easily troubleshoot, but it appears that
>> whether I dial into the Max 4000 or the TNT (which are connected via a
>> Frame Relay T1), the problem persists. So it doesn't appear to be a
>> specific router.
>>
>> I tried different dialer software on the client side, to no avail. When the
>> problem is happening, I see packet loss of 5-10%, measured by having one of
>> the routers (not the one the client is dialed into) send a ping stream.
>>
>> I have LQM on on both routers.
>>
>> Does anyone have any hints on troubleshooting this? It's hard as hell to
>> even reproduce, let alone fix.
>>
>> Any and all input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Peter Lalor

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com