Re: (ASCEND) Procesing information

In article <199806032025.RAA24423@hermes.interar.com.ar> you wrote:

>I''m trying to process the information of the accounting in the detail file,
>and I have some problems:
>There are start sessions without stop information and viceversa, and the
>information of the session is dated by the machine that handles the account
>when the request arrive, but that is not the real time when the session
>occurs.

The second questions is fairly easy to answer, you could use the NTP
(Network Time Protocol) service on your dial-in equipment, as well as
on the machine running the radius accounting. Actually it would probably
be a good idea to synchronize all servers, routers and NAS.
To do that, designate one or more Unix/NT servers on your network to run
an NTP server process. There are freely available versions for most
platforms. Thus all your logiles and accounting information should provide
you with exact and comparable timestamps. The Ascend Max units support
the NTP protocol.
The other problem, missing start/stop records in your detail file, can
have several reasons. First of all it is essential that the path to your
accounting server doesn't run over a congested part of your network.
The accounting files are transferred using the UDP protocol. I haven't
looked into the exact implementation of radacct, but I suppose records
might get lost if network performance is severly impacted. Starting with
the 6.0 releases there's a new option to send an additional set of
accounting records to another radius acct server, this might be a good
backup option. Depending on what informtion you need to extract from
the detail files, you might also find another new feature quite useful.
Starting with recent releases there's an option to generate a syslog
record when users log out. It contains most of the interesting
information, link speed, amount of transferred data, total session
time etc...

--
Oliver J. Albrecht <oj@nexus.flensbone.net>