Re: (ASCEND) P50 to P50 Bridge stays open on NT Lan

There have been multiple posts on this subject. I really wonder why
ASCEND doesn't put a BIG BIG FAQ on the website titled "Why NT is bad
for your ISDN bill and what to do about it"...maybe I haven't looked
hard enough :-)

facts:
For starters, I would really use IP routing. That keeps some broadcast
traffic away.
Then, it was suggested that one should filter the ports used by NT for
name lookup. NT always looks up names. All the time. While presenting
the login dialog, when logging out, for keepalives...AFAIK, filter
these:

protocol      on port
UDP (17)      137
UDP (17)      138
TCP (6)       139

BUT: after that few things will still be working well with MS
networking. If you need to read remote registries, map networked drives,
logon to remote domains etc. you'll be in trouble.

I recommend tweaking the registry to stretch the interval between
lookups, and to live with the name lookups on logon/logoff. Let me cite
from my post dated Oct 7, 1997:

> Still not happy with a call every 10 minutes I searched the MS
> website/Knowledge Base for the dialup issue. I found two texts dealing
> with NT browser lookups and Domain Controller lookups:
>
> Information on Browser Operation
> Article ID: Q102878
> Revision Date: 24-SEP-1996
>
> Browsing & Other Traffic Incur High Costs over ISDN Routers
> Article ID: Q134985
> Revision Date: 03-SEP-1996

That is found at http://support.microsoft.com/ . They should have more
recent articles on that topic ("browsing").

In addition, I would install a local name lookup via LMHOSTS or the WINS
server, or even the Pipeline DNS server. This prevents going online when
a local host is addressed.

Best regards,

   Wolfgang Beneicke

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 17:33:29 -0700, Tim Hoffman <tim@isnetwork.com>
wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I've got 2 Pipeline 50s in a bridging setup to
> connect a remote PC to a small 10-host LAN and to
> an Internet gateway. The IP subnet for the LAN is
> a 27-bit subnet of a Class C net, (mask
> 255.255.255.224)
>
> TCP/IP for Internet access and NetBIOS over TCP/IP
> for Windows networking are the environments.
>
> The bridging works fine, but with NT or Win95 on
> the remote end, broadcast packets are always
> resetting the Call timeout timer. I've tried
<snip>

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                         B  E  N  E  I  C  K  E
                               EDV-Beratung
        Netzwerk-Design - 3Com Solution Partner
           ISDN Remote Access - ASCEND Vertrieb
              DIGITAL Partner PC-Systeme und Server
                 ApplePoint
                    Windows NT-Netzwerke
                       Workstation Memories and Storage Solutions

Dr. Wolfgang Beneicke                                 fon +49-6223-48126
Fasanenstrasse 16, D-69251 Gaiberg                     fax +49-6223-5708
...near world famous Heidelberg, Germany