Re: (ASCEND) MaxTNT 2.0.7 problems

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, William R Charnock wrote:

> Last night we attempted an upgrade on one of our TNT's.  After upgrading
> the shelf software and loading the tar image everything seemed fine.  The
> TNT was pingable, telnet-able, etc.  Users were getting authenticated fine
> as well.  However, no packets were being forwarded to the users who were
> connected.  We use proxy arp for routing internally and the TNT seemed to
> stop answering arp requests after the upgrade.  We decided to turn on
> rip-v2.  The routes started showing up in the router, but still the
> packets were not being forwarded by the TNT.  It was now 3:30am and about
> 2 hours longer than what we had planned to spend on the upgrade, so we
> downgraded to 1.3Ap24 and magically everything started working again.
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?  It is imperative
> that I figure something out because obviously we are going to have to
> upgrade to the 2.X stuff sooner or later.  I haven't heard from an Ascend
> SE or Salesman for that matter in 6 months (other than calling to cancel
> appointments 3 or 4 times).  HELP!

It sounds to me like you are out of memory.

When you load the new software, try running the 'brouterstat' command:

      PPPP based on low memory (now MMMM, ceiling XXXX kByte)

	PPPP = How many packets were dropped due to low memory (if this
               is increasing rapidly you have a problem).
	MMMM = How much memory is remaining.
        XXXX = This is the ceiling, when the ceiling is reached, the TNT
               basically stops forwarding packets!

You can change the ceiling using the 'brouterclip -m XXX' command.  Where
XXX is the amount of memory in K that you want to have remaining before
you discard packets.  I currently set my XXX to 1 or 2K since a complete
stopage in routing is just as bad as a type 2 memory error and a reboot.

This works for me in 2.0.7, however, when I tried to upgrade to 2.1.0, I
ran out of memory almost immediately.

					Mike Jackson
					TSCNet

Follow-Ups: References: