Re: (ASCEND) OSPF route summarization

On 15 Jun 98 at 11:46, Todd Romero wrote:

> On Max4048's..is there a way to make the dynamically assigned
> addresses get summarized into a /26 for example instead of injecting
> a ton of /32's into the ospf database? I know this can easily be
> done on Livingston portmasters.

Yep, pretty easy on the Max too...

For example, take a class C address (such as 192.168.1.0/24), use
pool starting points of something like

192.168.1.1
192.168.1.65
192.168.1.129
192.168.1.193

and a count of 62.

Switch pool summary on, and voila, you have

192.168.1.0/26
192.168.1.64/26
192.168.1.128/26
192.168.1.192/26

appearing in the routing table on your core routers.

You basically have to use pool counts with "powers of 2, less 2"
(i.e. 30, 62, 126) for it to summarise OK.

Works quite nicely, using RIP-2 here, and my Cisco likes it :-).

Mike
--
Mike Hughes - Network Services         mike@dircon.net
Tel: 0181 297 0300                     http://www.dircon.net/