Re: (ASCEND) MAX4000 not getting full load

On 15 Jun 98 at 13:28, Mauricio Teixeira wrote:

> Folks,
>
>  I have a MAX4000 with just one E1 interface, wich would mean 30
> possible connections, but I've never (I mean REALLY NEVER) got 30
> users connected...
>
>  When there are 29 users, and the 30th tries to connect, he/she gets
> a message about the Dial-Up can't negotiate a valid protocol...
>
>  Well... I was wating for this since the first time I got this
> box... Look at this status window:
>  ______________________
>  |10-100 1234567890   |
>  | L1/TE ------------ |
>  |3456789012345678901 |
>  |---s--------------- |
>  ----------------------
>
>  Can you see the "s" where it should have a "-"? I think it's the
> 30th line...
>
>  Well... Anyway... Anyone can help me?

OK, I think some people have been barking up the wrong tree here.

The user is getting "Cannot Negotiate a compatible set of network
protocols" probably because the aren't getting allocated an IP
address by the Max.

If the user is getting as far as that error message, it's going to be
nothing to do with the number of lines - the fact that this error
message appears means that the user has connected, trained up,
authenticated, and started IPCP. This message means that the Win95
client has failed IPCP, which is where your dynamic address
assignment occurs.

So you are most likely looking at one/all of the following:

1) IP pool on the Max is not big enough to handle 30 concurrent
sessions.
2) Your IP address pool is "leaking" - i.e. pool addresses
are not being retruned to the pool following usage, therefore you
gradually run out of addresses.

Check the following in term server:

Do a "sh users".
Count how many users you have.
Then do "sh pool"
See if the number of people logged on equates to the number of pool
addresses in use. If there are more pool addresses in use that users
logged in, then you have a pool leak problem.

MIke
--
Mike Hughes - Network Services         mike@dircon.net
Tel: 0181 297 0300                     http://www.dircon.net/