Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Max 4004 & Series56 Digital Modem RemoteGateway Probs (fwd)

>From: MegaZone <megazone@megazone.org>
>
>Once upon a time Robert Gash shaped the electrons to say...
>>Well, I found the problem.  We used to operate some Portmasters, however we
>>have taken them offline.  The model we used (2e) had horrible RIP support in
>
>PM RIP support is stellar - it is just RIPv1.  Not doing RIPv2 is not the
>same has having problems.  Livingston/Lucent deliberately skipped RIPv2 since
>it is inferior to OSPF, and they were working on, and then fielded a solid
>OSPF base.  They had RIPv2 running, I know they guy who wrote it one
>afternoon as a warm up, they deliberately decided not to support it because
>it is so inferior to OSPF.  And their OSPF is simple to use and reliable.
>
>Ascend did RIPv2 because it was taking them so long to beat OSPF into shape.
>
>Given the choice, use OSPF - a link state protocol beats a distance vector
>protocol any day.

The key phrase here is "given a choice". Between Ascend's long-running OSPF
problems (although we only had a few problems long ago with it) and being
forced to choose between OSPF and AppleTalk, sometimes you don't have a
choice. And then it's nice if your other boxes give you a choice, even if
it's not your first one.

(We had a PM 2e-R long ago, and it was totally stable, far more so than the
Max 4000 that replaced it. It was just a bit feature-shy at the time for
our needs. In our experience, the Maxen's reliability has greatly improved
since.)

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/
415-459-7991 x102     415-459-7992 fax