Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Max 4004 & Series56 Digital Modem Remote Gateway Probs (fwd)

> Philip,
> You can only summarize OSPF routes at area boundary, that is
> not to say you can't summarize ASE routes before they enter OSPF.
> The MAx does this with the pool summary option, then you don't
> get
> all those /32 routes in OSPF. If you use RIPv2 to a router which
> imports it into OSPF you could summarize routes from the pool
> and routes not in the pool but in some supernet with the pool.

They were talking about, for example, summarizing the routes for an
entire POP before they go onto your backbone.

For example: If UUnet has 50000 Maxes each with one dynamic pool, how
do you avoid the need to circulate 50000 routes on your backbone?

My network is not big enough that this is an issuue, though!

-Phil