(ASCEND) OSPF

Once upon a time Phillip Vandry shaped the electrons to say...
>I heard some valid arguments recently against OSPF. Agreed that RIPv2 is
>probably no better (or worse), though.

Worse.  It has all the drawbacks of RIP, except now it has VLSM/CIDR support.
Full routing updates, not just deltas, it is still distance vector, etc.
RIPv2 has been described as brain surgery on a dead patient.  I worked with
the guy who developed RIPv2, back at Xylogics, great guy - but RIPv2 is
still a kludge to prolong the life of a dying patient.

>They were pushing EIGRP instead of OSPF (they were Cisco people). Obviously
>EIGRP is not an option for anyone who hasn't got a 100% Cisco network.

I wouldn't use EIGRP because it is proprietary - they'd love you to, because
it locks you into a Cisco network.  I've never heard any strong arguments
to justify EIGRP over OSPF.  Most Cisco users I know use the standards -
RIP, OSPF, BGP.  Here, at GTEI/BBN, we're exclusively Cisco for routing -
and we use OSPF/BGP.

>The complaints against OSPF is that it forces you to have a network that is
>structured with a backbone area having the required properties of the
>OSPF backbone (zero) area, that is, every other area connects to it.

Yes - but this isn't as bad as it sounds.  In practice this is rarely
noticable, and with forethought to design it is a non-issue.  I've never
experienced any problems, myself or with a customer, getting this to work.

-MZ
--
<URL:mailto:megazone@megazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..
Join ISP/C Internet Service Providers' Consortium <URL:http://www.ispc.org/>