(ASCEND) Multiple feed questions

We currently have 1 T1 as our upstream Internet connection. I am starting
to look into setting up another feed as a backup, and perhaps eventually
for more bandwidth.

Since I've never researched this before, a quick primer would be helpful.
Here are some questions off the top of my head

- If I use two completely different upstream ISP's, how does routing work
on my end? RIP, OSPF?

- What changes do my upstream provider(s) need to make to their systems?

- What considerations are neccessary in a backup feed vs. more bandwidth setup?

Like I said, I've never really researched this before, so any and all info
would be helpful, as well as any gotchas you've experienced before.

Thanks,
Marcel