Re: (ASCEND) 6.1.0 Max4k problem

At 09:49 PM 6/22/98 -0500, Marc Newman wrote:
>I am running a Max4004, 4 PRIs, 1 T1 (v.35) and 72 modems.  It appears
>that after about 1 week (twice so far, since 6.1.0 has been released) my
>Max stops accepting telnet connections.  It gives me the prompt, but when
>I try to log in with the correct password it IMMEDIATELY (not after then
>third try) disconnects.

>From the readme file on the FTP site:

3.  Low memory conditions.  This problem has manifested itself
most typlically as a Warning 175.  It can also be related to
other failure modes, such as failure to establish telnet sessions to
the MAX, or other fatal errors.  This problem has been reported by a
minority of customers, and is believed to be related to configuration
details which are not yet understood.  You should plan on testing
your configuration at full call load to determine if any of these
symptoms appear.
<<<<

*We do have a potential fix for this, which should be available in the
next release, hopefully later this week.

>In addtion (the reason I was attempting to log on), it is not
>authenticating users via Radius.  I am running the latest Ascend radiusd,
>and have 2 other Maxes (much less loaded) and 1 400T which are NOT
>experiencing this problem.

Probably the same cause.

>It appears to be some sort of memory leak, causing the inability for the
>Max to authenticate after a certain length of time.  Since it does not
>crash, there is nothing in the fat log other than a bunch of Index 175
>errors, which via a previous service request you assured me were no
>problem.

Also mentioned in the FTP site README...

>Another interesting item:  I went to your web site, and found there was a
>Release 6.1.1, which I would have thought was a patch to Release 6.1.0,
>which is a minor release.  NO, instead I find VOIP as a new feature!
>Please explain what kind of release methodology adds major new features to
>a minor release patch level.  Wouldn't this be 6.2.0?

VOIP is a 6.1 VIOP-MAX feature. It was not released when the "regular" MAX
6.1.0 was, so it was released (according to the release-schedule time-line)
as 6.1.1 - no new features were added since 6.1.0, as there was no
6.1.0 for VOIP MAXen.

>Come on guys, it's been since 1994 that I have been waiting for a STABLE
>release with NO NEW FEATURES added to polute the recently fixed previous
>set of features.  Do I have to wait till 7.0.0 to get the fixes to 6.1.0?

5.0Ap51 seems to be many peoples favorite. 6.1.3 *should* have the fixes
that were mentioned for the 6.1.0 MAXen releases.

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.