(ASCEND) Re: [all] Glowing headers

Felix,

Apologies Felix for mis interpreting your comments.
I get to do 2nd year reading class next year!!  Writing comes later1

I don't think we're arguing here! I hope not any road.

There is nearly always some unburnt O2 in the exhaust as it leaves the
port (aka O2 sensors).  As I am sure you are well aware the air pump
causes the residual fuel to burn immediately and hopefully in the
'thermal reactor'.

Without an air pump the fuel may continue to burn 'slowly' (too little
O2 but high heat), but it does react 'further down the tract' when it
hits higher levels of O2, which suprisingly appears not to be at the
tail pipe.
Particularly on overrun the fuel explodes; according to the damage to
packing in my racers tail box, about 12 inches from the tail pipe.
Unless the ingnition is refecting off the air/exhaust 'boundary' layer
at the end of the pipe and going back up the pipe....Sounds like
advanced sonics (pun intended!).

IanC