Re: (ASCEND) Re-iterate: 6.1.3 does NOT fix IP address pool leak

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Chris A. Epler wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, John Coy (anc.net) wrote:
>
> > I hope someone at Ascend is reading this - fire the people
> > testing the code before it is released and get someone in there
> > that can do the job and do it right!
>
> Oh, but this is the NEW Ascend and it's NEW testing procedure which should
> result in crystal clean code with no problems!  *hrumph*  *smirk*

In all fairness, let's give the guys a break.  Adding v.90 required a
major rearchitecture and no amount of lab testing can simulate the complex
configurations that exist in the real world.  I can completely understand
the frustration that they feel (that _I_ feel.)

However, that doesn't mean that their testing & release psychology is
sound.  Perhaps ALL software releases should be marked as BETA until it
has been fire-tested in the field by people like us who will find every
conceivable problem with the code.

Seriously -- if 6.1.0 and even 6.1.3 had been marked as 'unproven BETA'
software (which seems to be what it is), would any of us be so annoyed?
I don't think so.

Dave

Follow-Ups: References: