(ASCEND) Max 1600 question

Hi,  I have an old Max 1600 running 4.6Dp4 [no ospf or rip running, and no
modems].. I'm trying to get it to accept digital calls; so far, the test
pipeline I'm using connects just fine, however it can't authenticate.  To
my knowledge everything is setup correctly in the max, and the appropriate
entries have been made in /etc/raddb/clients on the radius servers.  The
debug information on the max gives -nothing-.  Could there be something
obvious that I overlooked?

thanks,
robert