Re: (ASCEND) Max4000 and TWO telcos ?

At 05:03 PM 6/26/98 -0700, Shiloh Costa wrote:

>If you have 23 Channels with one D on the first T1, with TELCO A
>...and you have another 23 channels with one D on the second T1,
>with TELCO B
>
>Is it possible to utilize two different Telcos on a Max4000 or Max4048 ?
>
>Basically we're locked into a contract with a more expensive PRI on the
>first Telco, and from now on we'll be buying from the second Telco.
>
>Is there any problems with this, or any loopholes to look out for ?
>
>Kevin ?

Ever since the early days of the Multiband (IMUX product) this question
has come up. The bottom line is that it *should* work in most cases.

The MAX will take clocking from the first T1 interface that you have
configured as "clock source = yes". It will sync to that clock, and
all transmit clocks will be synchronized to it. The potential catch-22
is when the T1s come from different sources *AND* those sources are
not synchronized (trace back to a stratum-1 clock source).

As you will read from many others on this list, they have this working
just fine - many different combinations of PRI/CT-1 and different
carriers. The one gotcha is that we *have* seen odd cases where the
clocking was not synchronized close enough and frame-slips can
occur. The only way I know to find out is to try it.

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.