Re: (ASCEND) Radius (fwd)

hehehe exactly what you hit on, the data and call filters that in use by Ascend.
This isn't so much a problem now since the newer Ascend code allows me to build
a filter in the unit just like Livingston does and I can reference it just like
I do with the Livingston in RADIUS. So that part got a little easier. But it is
annoying to have two different idle time statements, different ISDN type
statements, and a lack of simultaneous login control for all of my equipment.
Livingston sells (or will soon sell) RABM which doesn't run under Red Hat Linux.
Ascend sells their Ascend Access Control Server which doesn't run under Red Hat
Linux either. So I am stuck without the features that I want and have to hack
them into the code myself. There are also a lot of other RADIUS feature I would
love to see that I haven't seen yet.

Examples:
---------------
Radius server assign the IPs from pools (for special routing and filters at
routers like email only, different news
                                                                        server
accesses and other things like that which could me made

transparent to the user, including different web proxies, like child
                                                                        safe
filtering etc)
Limiting total hours per month for accounts
Limiting login times for users                    (Business accounts get a cut
rate and only login 7am-6pm M-F)
Time of day based session length limits
Time of day based idle timeout limits
Multiple Analog login controls across multiple vendor platforms (1 or 3 or
whatever logins they buy)
Standardized filters that could be downloaded to multiple vendors to make filter
changes cross platforms easier

There are lots of other things I would like to see a RADIUS server do but they
simply don't do it now, or at least on my platform.

Tim Jung
System Admin
Internet Gateway Inc.
tjung@igateway.net