Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

(ASCEND) Re: Direct Connection between Channelized E1 interfaces.

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, jhyang wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I want to connect directly between channelized E1 on cisco and
> channelized E1 on FR
> switch(Ascend B-STDX 9000).
>
> I made the cable RX - TX, TX - RX (I'm not sure. I tried 4 combination.
> ^_^).
>

>   [Cisco 7000 CH E1 port] ---------- [B-STDX 9000 CH E1 port]
>                            ^ direct connection without any TELCO
> devices.
>
> After that, E1 connection (physical) is up.
>
> # sh cont e1
> E1 3/0 is up.
>   Applique type is Channelized E1 - balanced
>   No alarms detected.
>   Framing is NO-CRC4, Line Code is HDB3, Clock Source is Internal.
>   Data in current interval (765 seconds elapsed):
>      0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
>      0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
>      0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail
> Secs
At that point you can say that you _did_manage_ CHE1 ports connection
without telco devices.

Your problems have nothing in common wuth CHE1 handling.

> # sh conf
> :
> :
> controller E1 3/0
>  framing NO-CRC4                  <-- the same as FR switch framing
>  clock source line		  <-- I'm not sure, it is default.
>  channel-group 0 timeslots 1      <-- Configure 30 channel-groups
>  channel-group 1 timeslots 2
>  channel-group 2 timeslots 3
>  channel-group 3 timeslots 4
>  channel-group 4 timeslots
> 5
> :
This has nothing in common with FR operation. I wonder what FR switch will
conclude, seeing such G.704 filling in this trunk.. ;)

> After configuration from Cisco Router, I made "Lport(Logical Port)" on
> F-R switch, and
> setup PVC(s) with this Lport.
PVCs have _nothing_ in common with timeslots in CHE1. You mixed FR and TDM.. :(

> But "line protocol" on Cisco side never 'up'.. (down)

Definitely...

> #sh int s3/0:0
> Serial3/0:0 is up, line protocol is down
>   Hardware is cxBus E1
>   Internet address is 10.0.0.1/24
>   MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56000 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load
> 1/255
>   Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
Your FR switch will not understand HDLC encapsulation, it will prefer
some clone of FR encapsulation (despite the fact that it will prefer to
handle trunk as a whole, with PVCs inside it, instead of TDM-divided E1).

> At Frame Relay switch side, the operation status of Lport is 'up'.
>
> Is there any missing on building direct connection between each
> channelized
> interfaces. (without any TELCO devices).
You have _NO_ problems in building of direct connection.

You have problems in setting up Cisco for interoperation with FR switch.
Try to search through CCO for examples of FR configuration....