Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) PAP and CHAP with TNT

* Set your TNT's in Answer-Defaults, receive-auth-mode to = pap-ppp-auth.
That will force everyone to use PAP. MS Windows 9x and probably 2000 can
do PAP when they are forced to ;-) [there's pap, chap, MS Chap]. The Windows
boxes won't mind ... they'll just be told that PAP is the only option when they
connect.

We had situations where we had to do PAP only because the Radius Software
expected that and would fail authentication on CHAP [MS CHAP?].

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Oliver Stettner wrote:
> Jim Williams wrote:
>
> > We have signed up to resell UUnet dialup nationwide.  We are running into a
> > problem however.  UUnet says that they have their TNT boxes set to do both
> > CHAP and PAP.  Problem we are running in to is that when anyone dials in
> > with Windows 9x it tries to use ONLY CHAP (it does not seem to fall back to
> > PAP when CHAP fails and I know that Microsoft leads with CHAP) and then
> > fails because we really need PAP.  How has everyone gotten around this
> > problem or have you?
>
> Blame Microsoft for that problem. :-(
>
> But why can't you use CHAP?
>
> Oliver.