Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) find out the dynamic address given to my router?

At 20:08 2000-04-13 +0200, Christoph Marquardt wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I connect to a provider using an Ascend P75 w. NAT/PPP.
>The provider assigns a dynamic IP address to the router at connection time.
>I know that I can find out this address by using the "show ip address"
command
>in the terminal server of my router.
>
> - is there an easier way?

Not that I know of. It should of course be in one of the status screens,
like the newer Zyxels.

>What I didn't achieve so far is to establish an FTP connection to my computer
>from the internet while it's online. FTPing outside is no problem, but I
guess
>by using NAT I will need to make some special settings in the router.
>
> - Do I have to make any static settings to make FTP
>   sessions come through? If yes, which?

Yes, a static mapping _through_ NAT pointing all incoming ftp traffic to a
specific internal machines IP number.

Ethernet - NAT - NAT - Static Mappings

Consider the security hole You create though.

/Marcus
-
Marcus AAkesson          marcus.akesson@home.se
Gothenburg               Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779
Sweden