Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) MAXTNT Radius client timeout

(This is actually two seperate errors. The first one is a lack of response
before the timeout [could be that Radius server could not authenticate the user
and just dropped it, or Radius/network problems]. The second error is
Authentication specific. This is what happens when the user/password supplied
by the user is incorrect, or the user does not exist. Or the Radius server does
not seems to exist ? ;-) [but usually that is radius client timeout].

* Yes, it was pretty common for awhile. Our TNT's are at affiliate sites
geographically and network-wise, pretty far away. We were authenticating them
to here. I changed the settings in External-Auth for "timeout" in both
Accounting and Authentication settings. Now we only see that when our Radius
Server really goes down, or there is a network outage between us and the site.

(This also affects that error message "Backoff Q Full" which relates to the
queue of Radius Accounting Records not acknowledged overflowing and the oldest
one being flushed.)

I have used settings of 30-60 seconds for timeout and the complaints of these
errors are almost none lately.

Note that we are using E1's on 8e1 cards, but this should have nothing to do
with the Radius protocol anyway. Radius is going to go over either your
Ethernet to a local host, or across the WAN to a remote Radius host.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Bill Merrill wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Has anyone ever run into this error message? It has been happening
> recently on our TNT and I am having a fun time trying to track it down.
> The TNT is running ver 7.2.3, using channelized T1s through a t3-card.
>
> Jun 21 09:00:11 tnt.shore.net 1/11: Radius client timeout
> (code=1) for user example@shore.net
> Jun 21 09:00:11 tnt.shore.net 1/11: [1/11/37/0] LAN security
> error: <example@shore.net> [MBID 1423; ->1980] [Answer]
>
> If you need any more information, please let me know.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Bill Merrill, CCNA
> Shore.Net - A PRIMUS Company
> Network Operations