Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) interrupt of date flow with good telco connection

Nikita wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have 5 MAXes model 4048 with TAOS 7.0.3 and our customers complain about next situation on any box:
> suddenly stopped transmit of any date between dialup users modem and access-server, but telco connection not break off, wihtout retrains. I saw that problem with my home Slackware and Win98(modem USRobotics V.Everything), "show ip routes" command into MAX at once showed my ip and correct routing to wan-#port of ascend box...
> Has anyone this strange problem? and how I can solve this problem? Any ideas ?
>
> Nikita

Hi Nikita, hi list members!

We have a similar pausing problem with our two stacked Max2024 (TAOS
7.2.3) and Max2012 (TAOS 7.2.3) but only at the beginning of a
transmission after successful user authentication and ip assignment.
(FYI, each Max is connected to one E1-line, "MP" and "MPP" is used
without problems by our ISDN customers)

The nasty pause (duration around 10-60 seconds) after dialing in is
sporadic and independent from modem or ISDN customers. If a user
disconnect and immediately reconnect then often there is no problem
again. Also, if anyone wait for the end of the long pause it seems the
user has a normal link afterwards.

"Clock source" is set to on on both Max. Could it be useful to switch
"clock source" to "off" on one Max to fix the clock to a specific
E1-line? As I can imagine, stacked Maxes behave like one Max. Should
each Max have his own "clock source = yes" in a stacked environment?

Can anyone give useful hints for debugging this behavior? So far I have
checked this problem is not a DNS issue. Pinging competent NAS with its
ip address shows 100% packet loss during the pause.

Today I called our telco to get a closer look on their log files during
the high-traffic weekend. I hope they will find something useful...

Is this pausing problem a config- or telco-thing or may be a firmware
bug in TAOS 7.2.3? We are suffering this problem a long time now and saw
this also with older releases of MAX TAOS.
Sometimes the problem seem to vanish almost completely, and now and then
it is very nasty so our customer complain about it.

Any useful hints are highly appreciated.

Best regards

Technik Bürgernetz Günzburg,
http://www.bnv-gz.de

[cc technik@bnv-gz.de]