Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

(ASCEND) avm / bad modems

> What makes a modem bad?  Is it a pre-mature disconnect from the client or
is
> it something bad happening to the modem internally

We had wondered this also as all of a sudden we were having 30-35% failure
rates - up from the regular 2-5% we used to have, we swapped cards and
chassis and still had the same problem.  I took a deeper look at the logs
and noticed that the bad calls _always_ came before a particular user and
were always 44000 connects or slower - usually 10 or 20 of them in a row
across different modems and different modem cards, then a successful
connection from this particular user at 46666 or better.  I haven't verified
this with the user, but I believe he has his modem setup to only connect at
or above 46666 and disconnect anything else prior to the PPP negotiation
starting - most modems have this feature of restricting connections to
certain speeds.

In the log files, the disconnect causes of the 'bad' calls were all that the
line was disconnected before PPP negotiation, so I think that is likely the
cause of the problem for us, YMMV however.

The unfortunate part for us was that after one of this users' attempts one
day it caused one of the cards to report as all modems bad and automatically
rebooted the chassis for us. Luckily one of our other chassis picked up the
slack as it wasn't a particular busy time, but it was strange and annoying
none-the-less.