old 486 as print server

Hi everyone,

You may recall, I posted a long question recently about setting up a LAN
at my high school. Here's another quick one.

I'm going to buy a network printer. I'll probably get an HP 6MP. The
printer does Postscript, but to make it work with ethernet you need to
buy HP's JetDirect print server. That's going to add around $200 to an
$800 printer. To save some money can I set up one of my old 486s to act
a print server, i.e., connect the 6MP to that machine through the
parallel port and avoid the JetDirect?

I'm still trying to get this network printing stuff figured out. Any
comments would be appreciated.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy Wilson		    | Powered by Linux |      Check out:
Henry Sibley High School    |                  | http://www.redhat.org