Re: [TCLUG:498] ssh 1.25

reinvent the wheel?  that is a silly thing to say.

#1: the reason unix apps are distributed as source is to make cross-platform
    setup easy.  one file to distribute.

#2: if we didn't want to reinvent the wheel, linux would not exist

#3: compiling is NOT reinventing the wheel, it's like baking a cake, (another
    food referance to source code, FSF!)  you get all the ingridents together,
    and stir.  sometimes it takes alot of effort, or othertimes you have
    configure wich turns it into a bread machine.  and for people that have
    been doing this for a while, "it just tastes better when i cook it"

do you eat out, or do you cook for yourself?

On 02-Jul-98 Joseph A. Heil wrote:
> Quoting Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com):
>> i don't know why you don't compile from source..
>
>   Why, oh, why reinvent the wheel?!?!?
>
> j.heil
>>
>> ./configure
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> all done.. same as RPM
>>
>> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Bob Tanner wrote:
>>
>> > Quoting Clay Fandre (cfandre@dacmail.net):
>> >
>> > Ooops, ok, I was looking for the .rpm files. Sorry about that.

>> > --
>> > Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700
>> > http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : (612)943-8500
>> > Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66 62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

> --
> Joseph A. Heil, Jr.
>
> email:               heilja@dbsource.com
> Home Office voice:   612-445-5180
> Key fingerprint = 95 FC 3A F4 8A 10 05 85  3F 53 01 86 AD DB DB 51

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer