Re: [TCLUG:498] ssh 1.25

Quoting Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com):
> reinvent the wheel?  that is a silly thing to say.

Boy you really missed the point.

Do you know what rpm is?  It is the Redhat Package Management.  The key
words here are PACKAGE MANAGEMENT.  Why should I have to rebuild a
software package every time a new bug fix comes out?  If the author has
develops the software on a Linux, especially a Redhat system, they
usually make both source and binary rpm's for distribution.  How many
software packages are on your system?  300? 400?  I have ~370 on my
Redhat system.  Now why should I recompile a new software package every time
a fix comes out for my 370 packages.  Why, this last week I upgraded
6 different package for security reason.  2 packages twice because they
did not get it right the first time.  Total upgrade time was probably about
5 minutes.

Have you ever managed more then one system?  Lets use that high school guy
as an example.  He posted that he was going to get about a dozen or two
computer up in a lab.  If I was him I would want everything in rpm's.  Even
a single package which might only on a single machine.  Why?  Standardization.
I can always depend on xyz.rpm to install on every machine.  Sure, someone's
got to do the work and build/compile the rpm, but most author's are happy
to do so to further permote there package.

Most people who run Linux system know how to build software package from the
raw tar files.  Why should I waste my time build package that sometimes
take more than 30 minutes to build, when in less than a minute the binaries
can be installed?

> #1: the reason unix apps are distributed as source is to make cross-platform
>     setup easy.  one file to distribute.

  True.  So.

> #2: if we didn't want to reinvent the wheel, linux would not exist

  Linux exist because someone wanted something better, that ran on Intel
  architecture.   What did Linux reinvent?  Before Linux/NetBSD/FreeBSD
  there was NO free Unix OS code on the internet.  Hard to reinvent something
  that is not there.

> #3: compiling is NOT reinventing the wheel, it's like baking a cake, (another
>     food reference to source code, FSF!)  you get all the ingridents together,
>     and stir.  sometimes it takes alot of effort, or othertimes you have
>     configure wich turns it into a bread machine.  and for people that have
>     been doing this for a while, "it just tastes better when i cook it"

  Bleh.  A waste of time, unless your are the author, are making custom
  changes to the source code for your use, or just want to learn how to
  compile a program.