Rehat 5.1 partitions

Hi!

I am a new user and am installing Redhat 5.1 on my notebook.  I've received
some conflicting advice from the various install guides about how much
space to allocate to the various Linux partitions and am wondering what it
is that I should _really_ do.  One guide says:

"In today's large disks, a good basic setup is to have a small root
partition less than 80 meg), a medium-sized /usr partition (up to 300 meg
or so) to hold system software, and a /home partition occupying the rest of
your available space for home directories."

And another, specific to Redhat 5.1, says:
"Swap				2 X Physical RAM
 Root System, with X		250-350Mb	Depends on needed tools
 /home				5-Infinite Mb	Depends on # of users
 /var				5-Infinite Mb	Depends on # of users, news feeds
 /usr/local			25-200Mb
 /usr				350+ Mb"

I have installed X, most development tools and without having added any
user files to my /home or /var directories, and have the usage (all sizes
are in Mb):
Mount Point 		Size	Available	Used
/			303	253 (84%)	 50 (16%)
/home			 12	 11 (92%)	  1  (8%)
/usr			382	 36  (9%)	346 (91%)
/usr/local		 79	 72 (91%)	  7  (9%)
/var			 12	  3 (25%)	  9 (75%)

I am concerned that my space usage is not consistent across partitions.
Granted, I'll be filling up /home and /var as I go, but I've used up 91% of
/usr space while I have 84% of / available.  I am tempted to re-partition
at least these two (/ and /usr) to reallocate more space to /usr.  What
would you advise?

Also, does anyone have the chat file, ip-up, ip-down & other configuration
files for the U. of M. PPP dialup?

Thanks for your help.

- Autri Dutta
Pradyumna "Autri" Dutta          	e-mail:dutta@cs.umn.edu
3-353 Carlson School of Management    	http://www.cs.umn.edu/~dutta/
321 19th Avenue South            	Work phone:(612)626-0320
Minneapolis, MN 55455            	Fax:(612)626-1316
USA					PGP Key server:pgpkeys.mit.edu