Re: [TCLUG:522] Newbie alert!

Consider UNIX as a networking environment that is designed to have
anywhere from 1-100 people logged into it and working at the same time
-- even though you have a version running on your desk at home - this is
what it was designed to do. It is the most powerful and versital
operating system with the most efficient multitasking, and it's been
around for 30 years! Keeping this in mind, you don't want to throw all
of the executables needed by all these people into one directory, or all
of your libraries and sharable codes into a single directory (like some
operating systems that we won't mention here). Therefore, it is
imperative that an efficient and common sense scheme is devised to store
these thousands of files and exec's. Most UNIX platforms (and this is
entirely configurable by the system administrator -- namely you)  have
the following scheme for storing and installing files:

For system and OS files/exec's
    /bin:/usr/bin:/etc:/sbin

For installed software
    /opt:/usr:/usr/local

For user installed software
    /usr/local

Decide how you want to set up your machine and stick to that schema.
Until you do become a UNIX "guru", it is a good idea to stick to the
established methods.