RE: [TCLUG:607] Mixing Alphas and x86s

Sorry, I was out of town for a few days last week.

21064 is found in machines like the Digital AlphaStation 200 and the
Alpha PC.  Clock speeds commonly range from 150 MHz to 275 MHz.  These
machines are available for $600 - $1500 depending on the model and
accessories.  Several of these machines had the TurboChannel bus rather
than the ISA/PCI combination that later became popular.  I don't think
Linux works on the TurboChannel machines, but check the Red Hat (or
other) site for details on a specific machine.

21066 is most commonly found in the Universal Desktop Box (UDB).  The UDB
was available with a 166 MHz or 233 MHz chip.  With a DEC software bundle
that included a bunch of terminal emulators and such, they were called
"Multia's".  The same case and name were used with a line of Pentium
machines, so make sure of what you are getting.  These take standard 72
pin parity memory and came standard with 24 MB, 2 x 8 and 2 x 4 meg
simms.  This leaves no free SIMM slots, so to upgrade you have to throw
out the 4 meg simms.  The other pain is that the internal drive bay only
accepts 2 1/2 inch hard drives (laptop size) which adds to the cost.
 Sound card, video card, and all the standard accessories are integrated
onto the motherboard (I think 10baseT as well).  Some of these are sold
without floppy drive.  Prices for stripped machines (case, motherboard,
floppy) start at about $150 and go up to $400.  $200 seems to be pretty
common asking price for the 166 MHz models.  This machine is well
supported by Linux.

21164 - available in various AlphaStation models as well as from some of
the clone vendors.  I don't see many of these on the market.  Speeds
commonly range from 266 MHz to 500 MHz.

21164a - same basic design as above but implemented with different chip
technology (.25 micron process I think).  These are pretty commonly
available.  Check Linux Journal for current prices or one of a number of
web sites.  Prices for decent systems start at around $2800 (monitor not
included).

21164PC - same basic CPU core as above, but doesn't include the on-chip
L2 cache.  This saves about $800 in system cost.  You can get the
motherboard, 533 MHz cpu, and case for less than $1000.  Complete systems
are available (with Red Hat pre-installed) for less than $2000.

Some sites with fairly good reps include (this is far from
all-inclusive):

	www.aspsys.com
	www.microway.com
	www.dcginc.com