Re: [TCLUG:845] X, Compaq and me: an update

Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Jeffrey R Haskovec wrote:
>
> > We have a bunch of mag monitors at work and they are horrible, I would
> > suggest a Sony Trinitron or Nokia monitor for a really nice monitor.
>
> Refresh rate, clarity (dot pitch) and maximum resolutions and color depth
> are what is most important to me. I don't care about monitor size, as long
> as it's at least 15" (which is all that's sold these days anyway). It's
> not size that matters, it's how you use it. :)
>  They tend to be a little harder to find, though.

Sony is definately a great monitor manufacturer, I have the Multiscan 100sf
(Basically, all Sony Trinitron 15" are the same except for the buttons :), but
if you want a 17" or better, I would reccomend Iiyama, as they have Trinitron
tubes with higher supported resolution rates than the equivalent Sony for the
same or lower price.  The MT-9017E, basically a Trinitron (Diamondtron - anyone
know the difference?) can do 1600x1200@72Hz and 1280x1024@85Hz.  I saw it on
pricewatch today for $468.  The 21" monitors are available for less than $1000.

IMHO, the monitor & video card are probably the most important part of any
system, probably more so for anyone who actually uses one for any substantial
period of time.

-Chris