Re: [TCLUG:845] X, Compaq and me: an update

On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 05:06:56PM -0500, lamfada@pconline.com wrote:
> Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:
>
> Sony is definately a great monitor manufacturer, I have the Multiscan 100sf
> (Basically, all Sony Trinitron 15" are the same except for the buttons :), but
> if you want a 17" or better, I would reccomend Iiyama, as they have Trinitron
> tubes with higher supported resolution rates than the equivalent Sony for the
> same or lower price.  The MT-9017E, basically a Trinitron (Diamondtron -
> anyone know the difference?) can do 1600x1200@72Hz and 1280x1024@85Hz.
> I saw it on pricewatch today for $468.  The 21" monitors are available for
> less than $1000.

i'll just add that the sony multiscan's are without a doubt a great monitor
... have ordered many for school districts and have been incredibly happy
with every one that i have gotton ... but another great monitor would be
the viewsonics ... the ps790 is 19" (18" viewable) and can do
1600x1200@76hz ... they are usually a little more expensive ... this one
coming in at ~$600-$700 last i saw ... but are definately worth it in my
mind ...

> IMHO, the monitor & video card are probably the most important part of any
> system, probably more so for anyone who actually uses one for any substantial
> period of time.

lets not forget about the motherboard ... it is without a doubt the most
important part of any machine ... poor mb and you will have poor everything
... including video performance ... another very important part would be
the power supply ... too many problems are based on bad hardware when in
fact it is just a poor ps ...

len.

--

--------- ---- --- ----- -- whisper@bitstream.net --- -- -   -    -      -