Re: [TCLUG:896] telnet question

Sometime around the 11st of August in 1998, a certain Chad Juettner said:

> is it possible for me to emulate a vt100 terminal? i looked through the
> telnet man pages and couldn't find anything, and i looked through the
> setterm man page and couldn't understand anything.
>
> i was trying to run pine through a telnet sesion to my isp's box and kept
> getting the error saying something like "i don't understand your terminal
> type 'linux'".

I've had that problem as well; it was easily remedied (most likely not the
correct way, though) by doing

export TERM=vt100

in bash.

If you happen to be running screen on your local machine, I believe it
sets its windows to TERM=vt100 beforehand, as well.

--
| Josh Becker                   - aka -                     JellyD |