RE: [TCLUG:992] Caldera OpenLinux install hassles

> Eric Hillman wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >         The second problem still has me a little baffled,
> though.  I'm trying to
> > get the system to talk to our networked HP 5si.
> > when I duplicate that exact same setup in OpenLinux, ASCII
> > comes out stair-stepped, and PostScript just churns out a half a ream of
> > blank pages.  It seems, basically, as though the print daemon
> isn't reading
> > its own config files, no matter how often I restart the damned thing.

Prompting Carl Patten to utter these fateful words:

> Could you post the /etc/printcap for the printer?  I'm suspecting that
> it or the magic filter is misconfigured somehow.  Have you checked to
> see if the new entry looks the same as the Red Hat entry?

	Yes, I did check the printcap settings.  The only difference is that the
RedHat printcap lists the printserver by IP address, without using the DNS.
I've listed them below anyways.
	The various /var/spool/lpd/lp/*.cfg files are also identical on both
machines.
	I think you could be right about the filter being messed up, or more likely
not being run at all, but I have no idea how to check.  I've considered just
installing a new lpd, but I'm not sure which packages to go for or where
best to look for them...  (Just for kicks I copied over the "filter" program
from the Red Hat server and replaced the existing one.  Still no dice.)

New Server:
##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
lp|main5si:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=main5si.cccu.com:\
        :rp=:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Old Server:
##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
lp|main5si:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\