RE: [TCLUG:1127] diald and RedHat

Hello All:

> I have been playing with diald under RedHat 5.0.
> Anyone wanna throw their support behind diald as a something good?

I have diald going on my little 486 at home.  It makes it a good
X-terminal, modulo the intermittent connections at odd hours.  Yes,
I need to spend an evening watching diald-top to get rid of that.  :-)

> I have a linux box on a Ethernet network, my primary connection is via
> ISDN. I want to use diald to configure up a secondary route via the
> modem. I got the routing right, but diald does not seem to call out
> like the documentation says it will.
>
> I have even yanked the nic card and still no dialout.

I assume you can make a ppp connection manually?  I've sort of 'moved
up the food chain', first connecting with minicom, then pppd, then
diald; each a bit more complicated to configure than the previous, but
worth it in functionality.

I did have problems with standard.filter in that the initial connection
was only allowed 15 seconds.  I changed that to 30 and VOOM!

Regards,
John