Re: [TCLUG:1289] Network Party

> I have played
> Quake almost incessantly on my Linux box and have put up with Win95 kiddies
> and their volume-control-knobs-on-the-front-of-their-monitors computers (with
> quesstions like, "Is Linux like DOS?  What does it do?").

Umm.. speaking of the "Is Linux like DOS?" question, which I get a lot,
how should we respond to it anyway?  My response is usually "Umm.. well,
kinda.."  But I usually have to quit once they start asking about how I
can have a graphical desktop..  "Don't you have Windows?"  "X Server?
Huh?"

I just have to go download Enlightenment now and get them _really_
confused..

> "No, I need to *telnet* into my computer."
> "Ya, I know.  You can log on here."
> "No, I need *telnet*."
> "You mean this program?"  Loads up the app launcher program, and highlights
> TELNET.EXE
> "Yes, that program."
> Goes back to Network Neighborhood.  "Well log on here so you can telnet into
> your computer."
> "Eeaaarghh."
> (He eventually figures out the difference between SMB and Telnet, sorta)
> "Why do you need to telnet in to your computer?"
> "I need to reboot my computer."
> (Confused look)

Heh.. I'm sure a lot of us have had this problem..  I have, at least..
Fortunately my roommate for the year has a computer that is
networkable..  Last year my rommate had a Macintosh with a M68030
processor..  I had to go trudging through the halls looking for someone
I could shove off their box..

Well, anyway, I think I'll go d/l Enlightenment now..

Mike Hicks