RE: [TCLUG:1781] DNS server timing out

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Jennifer McNitt wrote:

> The strange thing is that with my current configuration files, it was
> working fine.  It just all of a sudden stopped working.

It may be that you have a /var/run/named.pid file. Redhat uses those in
it's init scripts. If you have the file the init script thinks the
process is already running. I had a problem like this with samba. The init
script didn't want to start up smbd. The fact that the service simply
stopped working suggests it might be something similar. I just removed the
file and samba would start up again.

Good luck,

Hans

--