Re: [TCLUG:2333] Graphics cards: who was having problems..

Lemme start by thanking everyone at the InstallFest. I learned LOTS from
everyone. A special "We are not worthy!!" goes to Tim for hosting the
schin-dig.

That would be me that was asking about the Riva cards. I do know that the
Riva 128 is suppoted, originally by an XSuse server for XFree86. I hadn't
found anything about the Riva TNT (my card) at the time, but admittedly I
hadn't looked that hard since I've only had the system for about 5 days. I
figured it would /eventually/ be supported, so I didn't give it much
thought when I bought it (my other box is my main Linux project).

Your link caused me to find the FAQ question a couple nodes down. Notably
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#Riva128ZXTNT. They mention that a special
server is required, which can be found at
http://www.dimension128.smartcom.net. Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem
to go anywhere...

So, anyway, thanks for the link! Assuming it eventually works, I might
just give it a try. Seems like you almost need a system like that to run
StarOffice 5! My P-120/48Mb/4Mbvideo is pretty slow with SO-5...

FYI to the gentlemen who fruitlessly tried to help me get better
resolution out of my little 1Mb card: I gave up and found a cheap Cirrus
Logic 4Mb card at Dexis for about $45. It's a Compaq OEM card that I think
is a re-labeled STB Nitro64. Works great, and worth every cent not to have
to screw around with that Advance Logic junk. I also found that if I put
in the sync/refresh rates in manually for my monitor instead of picking it
from Xconfigurator's list, I got MANY more choices!! This might have
helped with the AL card, too...

Neal