Linux, Apache and LDAP

I am working on a project using Linux, Apache and mySQL.

The current system uses mySQL to store username and passwords to
access to sections of the web site. The mySQL Apache module works fine
until recently. The mySQL database is reaching 5,000 users and the
site is extremely busy. Little o'mySQL cannot keep up.

So, I am looking to move the users into an LDAP server. Does anyone
know if there is an LDAP Apache module or someway to authenticate
users access to web pages via LDAP under Apache?

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700