RE: [TCLUG:2927] Easy question

> On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Richard Seymour wrote:
>
> > How do I give a user rights to read, write, etc. in a directory?
>
> Read the following man pages:
>
> chmod
> chgrp
> chown
> passwd
> groups
> newgrp
>
> 'chmod' and/or 'chown' alone will do what you want, but it never hurts to
> know too much. :) You can get quite funky with groups and things; they're
> nice. Hell, just do a 'man -k group' and spend a few hours. :)
>
> It looks like root owns your HTML docs, so just do 'chown <user> <files>'
> and you'll be the new owner. yay!

	TIP: to make this easier, leave HTML files owned by root/nobody/whoever,
but change the *group* to something like "webbies" or "webusers", then set
the permissions so that owners and groupmembers can edit the files.  That
way, you can have a whole pool of users able to edit pages, with very easy
setup on your part (Just chgrp web /home/httpd/* and chmod 664 /home/httpd/*
every now and then).  It may be easier, depending on your situation, to just
chgrp everything to "users", so that everyone with an account can edit
webpages.
	You'll also need to make sure that the directory that contains your HTML
docs is writable by the appropriate users, or they won't be able to create
new files.