Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2883] some mods to make netrek more accurate

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 05:53:26PM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 02:08:54PM -0800, Tom Holub wrote:
> > This is not a small a change as you might think.  It is not uncommon to
> > have two out of fuel ships sitting near each other, with one or both
> > of them trying to orbit the planet (for example, a carrier and the last
> > defender after a big fight).  If you could tractor with almost zero
> > fuel cost it would change this situation considerably.
>
> We're talking distance of a few pixels here or less. The fuel part is just
> to be more realistic

Netrek is not reality.

> and would only take affect when for all intensive
> purposes

"intents and purposes".

> the guys are already on top of each other, meaning that if one
> of them is orbitting a planet and it is hostile they will be noticing
> it on their hull.

That ignores the issue.  The issue is that if he has a tractor on him he
can't orbit.  If the tractor is 0 cost he can't ever orbit.

> > What advantage to game play is this supposed to give us?
> >  -Tom
>
> What advantage? Smooth predictable graphics?

I don't see what graphic smoothing has to do with fuel consumption.

> Maybe you think I'm crazy and that's ok too... I'd just like some
> of the fixes to get into the mainstream branch so I don't have to
> play patch pumpkin and make so many changes each time.

My point is, you can't just change the game mechanics and call it
"fixes".  The change in tractor behavior would likely have an even
greater impact in hockey.  I don't really care about wall conditions,
they don't occur in any significant way in normal games.
 -Tom