Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2883] some mods to make netrek more accurate

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 04:07:53PM -0800, Tom Holub wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 05:53:26PM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > the guys are already on top of each other, meaning that if one
> > of them is orbitting a planet and it is hostile they will be noticing
> > it on their hull.
> That ignores the issue.  The issue is that if he has a tractor on him he
> can't orbit.  If the tractor is 0 cost he can't ever orbit.

So then don't put in the fuel thing. Big deal.

> > > What advantage to game play is this supposed to give us?
> > >  -Tom
> > What advantage? Smooth predictable graphics?
> I don't see what graphic smoothing has to do with fuel consumption.

Because you've read the entire thing and not bothered with anything
except the one part you hate and believe will be significant, even
though it is quite easy to break it up into parts.

Having the tractor beam never actually pull a ship to point 0, because
it always jumps +/- WARP2*ship->s_tractstr/other_ship->s_mass and never
actually coasts to zero was the only point.

> > Maybe you think I'm crazy and that's ok too... I'd just like some
> > of the fixes to get into the mainstream branch so I don't have to
> > play patch pumpkin and make so many changes each time.
> My point is, you can't just change the game mechanics and call it
> "fixes".  The change in tractor behavior would likely have an even
> greater impact in hockey.  I don't really care about wall conditions,
> they don't occur in any significant way in normal games.
>  -Tom

Most of netrek contains little "implementors didn't care about this."

Is there a problem with having it fixed?

I didn't declare the lowered fuel usage a "fix", I said it could be an
option to provide some realism. I declare the pulling to distance=0 a *fix*.

I declare proper wallwrapping conditions a *fix*.

They just aren't conditions that you care about so you don't want them,
which is fine...

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________