Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2883] some mods to make netrek more accurate

Mark,

I've just got around to analysing this thread.

As the librarian, I will accept changes to GWIDTH issues very easily.
For the tractor changes, they'd have to be a .sysdef option and I would
not allow it to default to the behaviour you want.  Same with the orbit
changes.

Rationale:

a) there is a GWIDTH bug already, pressor a ship into left wall and see
it disappear or move to a very strange position, from the perspective of
the ship itself.  The wall is usually irrelevant.

b) tractor is indeed wobbling, and people rely on it now.  If you feel
you need a reality reason ... the beam pulls in a particular direction
for a known duration, and if the target moves it has to be repointed
for the next pull.  ;-)

c) orbit direction would be a big game play change, and we'd have lots
of people screaming at us.

--
James Cameron   mailto:quozl@us.netrek.org   http://quozl.us.netrek.org/