Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2917] MAXPLAYER in config.h.in

Quoting Jeffrey Nowakowski <jeffno@ccs.neu.edu>:

> I see that Carlos has removed MAXPLAYER from config.h.in, stating that
> it is redundant.  I do not believe that it is.

I removed it from config.h.in since, like I said in the ChangeLog,
config.h seems to be setting Boolean type #defines (exists/don't
exist) while defs.h is actually giving values to all the #defines. It
seemed to fit better in defs.h.

As to client issues, most all clients I've looked at source for seem
to be keeping their own source trees.  That's why we have the problem
of having to find somebody to edit the source on the older clients
every time we make a significant change to defs.h or config.h.

> If you look at the file, MAXPLAYER is under the "COW only defines".

COW also has it redundant. As of 3.0pl2 its 36 in config.h and 20 in
defs.h, although the one in defs.h is wrapped in an #ifndef MAXPLAYER

> The newbie server is running 2.9pl5 code with MAXPLAYER set to 20 in
> defs.h and 32 in config.h.in without any problems that I can tell.

Because config.h is #included through defs.h.  Its defined first in
config.h to 32, and then re-defined later on in defs.h to 20.  You're
running a 20 player MAXPLAYER server.

Really, MAXPLAYER should be set in only ONE place, or situations like
Tom's earlier this week will happen. He changed MAXPLAYER in the
apparently obvious place, but it turned out to be an ineffectual
change because defs.h was still defining it to 32.  It wasn't because
he was incompetent, its because the source was confusing. Its
confusing and annoying to have to look for it in multiple places.  I
got bit by it when I first started to add the source for additional
observers.  If its in defs.h, it shouldn't be in config.h, and vice
versa.

--Carlos V.