Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3160] Developers Must Play

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Tom Holub wrote:
> > Perhaps the client would run as a per-frame CGI?
>
> I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.  What would you
> DO with your 54000 GIF files after the game?

Make a big animated GIF and crash netscape with it?

Really, if you want to make a movie from the client, just modify it to do a
screen capture and produce MNG or animated GIF output.  I haven't used the MNG
library, but I imagine it wouldn't be that hard.  Clips from the resulting
animation could be put on web pages, for the great netrek tutorial that no one
is going to make.

If you want to people to actually be able to watch whole games, just use one
of the java clients running in a web browser.  I thought one java client was
only able to watch recordings, and couldn't even be used to play.