> this would require us to get an AS number (or make sure that
> we can coordinate with the upstreams to use an appropriate private AS
> number) as well, which isn't so much of a problem but it does
> beg the question of who's the responsible party and what
> organization is there for the coordination of these items?
> btw - public AS numbers aren't free the costs are pretty
> trivial but there is some cost associated with it.

$500 setup + $30/year maintenance fee.  Not overly expensive, but probably
not needed if we could coordinate a private ASN with the upstream ISP's.
Does it actually need to be coordinated though?  Can't you have multiple
ASN's in a confederation?  I've never set up a private ASN though, so I
wouldn't know.

Jay