Jay wrote:
> Greetings (1st post),
>
> Quick opinion poll:
>
> Couple days ago I got restless, and impulse shopped (locally):
>
> SMC 7004AWBR (802.11b, 3-port switch, NAT/Firewall/etc): $99 w/rebate
> SMC 2632W (802.11b, Prism2 based card): $69
>
> To my dismay, I can barely keep a signal with the AP on the backyard
> deck, with me 68ft away (line of sight) at the fire pit. (The whole
> point of this exercise)
>
> Furthermore, indoors, if I locate the AP with the other switch and cable
> modem, I get a weak signal at my usual workspace .. only 30' away
> (granted, several walls/doors in the path).

Do you have another client card you can test with ? I've used
7004AWBRs before and their performance hasn't been as bad as
you report. I have never used SMC client cards, because I've
heard poor stories of their performance.

I have a Orinoco silver card that I could lend you to
play compare/contrast. Will you be at tonight's meeting ?

Your email does highlight another interesting point - that
these high-functionality combo AP/firewall/print-server/toothbrush/
switch units aren't always the right choice. Often, the optimal
location for an AP is not the optimal place for the rest of
the functions.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634