I'm wondering if these things have been done already that TCWUG could
potentially use.

1.  AP mapping software, something simple and not based on a GPS or
longitude and latitude coordinates to map the locations.  It would be
nice to setup the Loring park gateway with a web site that could provide
the information to park visitors.

2.  A way to distribute AP configuration settings via internet.
Something to deliver dhcpd, web caching, firewall, captive portal, VPN
settings to TCWUG AP's.

3.  Use guidelines for 802.11 channels.  Channel 11 for business
oriented use, channel 6 for public and 1 for personal?  I do not think
this is a bad idea, probably futile but it might be nice to make some
kind of coordination effort.

4.  A good location for AP configuration documentation, something about
various distributions and captive portals.  I know you can find the
stuff on various sites but I have not found site with the Holy Grail of
AP documentation.

Also:

Would it help to work on some TCWUG OS, captive portals, web caching,
VPN, hardware, or antenna recommendations?

Maybe we can get a sound off on what projects people are working on and
if TCWUG can help.   Are there are projects people would like to see
done?  I know I'd like to setup some open AP's by the light rail
stations that are coming.

I've been working on a hardware collection for TCWUG.  Currently, I have
5 Pentium 100 boxes and 1 Athlon 1100 box that are available to TCWUG
projects.  Maybe we can create a TCWUG inventory page on the web site.

Thanks,
Andrew