(ASCEND) 4048 upgrade retaining config

I just upgraded one of my 4048's from 5.0Ap36 to Ap42 via serial console.
When the file finished uploading, the max reset and it retained its
original configuration -- passwords and all.  Is this normal?  It seems
that my previous upgrades dumped the configuration and I had to restore.

I did do an fsave before the upload per the instructions.  But I've done
that on previous upgrades too.  Maybe I just never noticed it before...

Should I continue with the instructions and do an nvramclear anyway or let
it alone?

Del Hines
Internet Pusher
Cyberback Internet