Re: (ASCEND) Another idea: ISDN Up all the time??!!

> There have been lots of ideas on how to stop isdn up all the time.
> I'm looking for a really hard method, which works, whatever people have
> running on their pc, workstation and so on.

I think the best way is to properly adjust your call filters, but if you
don't want to do that, then there are least two options that have nothing
to do with SNMP.

#1 - Install a call filter that prevents all packets from bringing up the
     link.  Disable the idle timer.  Then have your users telnet to the
     Pipeline and use the "DO" commands to "1=Dial" the remote system and
     then "DO" "2=Hang Up" to disconnect when they are done.

#2 - Install a call filter that allows "ping" packets to the remote access
     server to bring up the link but prevents all other packets from doing
     so.  Use the default idle timer (120 seconds).  When someone wants to
     use the link they start a ping of the RAS.  When they are done, they
     stop the ping.  Shortly after, the link will go down.  They can use a
     long interval between ping packets (30 seconds) to reduce wasted
     bandwidth.

As far as I know, there are no SNMP objects that correspond to the "Active"
parameter in the Connection profile.  Perhaps one of the Ascend SNMP Gurus
can correct me if I am wrong.  Donna?  Ken?  Kevin?