(ASCEND) Problem with rlogin from tnt

I have a weird problem, this box has been running without a hitch for 30
days and today I start having a problem with rlogins.  I had this problem at
another site about 2 weeks ago and in frustration reset the machine, which
fixed it (until it happens again).  Here is what we are seeing..

The TNT is running 1.3Ap17

  From the TNT:
    rlogind: Permission denied.
    and then closes the connection.

  From our log file:
    Feb  6 14:09:01 zoo rlogind[12695]: Connection from 192.243.32.213 on
illegal port

  According to our rlogind man page, the daemon drops a client request if
the client's source port is not in the 512-1023 range.  I need a way to
make sure the TNT rlogins to our machine from a legal port.

  I checked the source port on the TNT via tcpdump, and saw it was in the
mid 130's.

There has got to be a better way of addressing this besides reseting the
tnt.

John Hough
IWBC - Systems Manager